Brief history/overview :
Apple cider vinegar is a brave survivor of the good old times that has speedily gained popularity recently; people hardly get over its magical powers, they wouldn’t quit wowing over the amazing benefits which this fermented apple liquor possess either.
Tales of apple cider and the striking discovery of its healing potentials began many years ago.
For centuries, Apple Cider Vinegar has been tireless in its service to mankind.
The Sumerians, Babylonians and Egyptians made the earliest discovery of vinegar and found it apt for culinary, food preservation and health purposes.
However, the pioneer version of apple vinegar emerged in 2500BC from a nomadic tribe called Aryans.
The Greeks and the Romans subsequently revamped the Aryans version of apple vinegar and it has continued to pass down from generation to generation.
What is apple cider vinegar?
Apple cider vinegar known also as cider vinegar is a form of vinegar derived from apple juice that has undergone fermentation.
Ingredients of apple cider vinegar.
The basic ingredients required to prepare unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar are apples, water and raw honey.
In addition to these ingredients, the filtered Apple Cider Vinegar contains natural flavour, caramel colour, apple juice concentrate etc.
Apple Cider Vinegar can be filtered or unfiltered.
1. Filtered Apple Cider vinegar comes in a light brown colour.
2. The unfiltered or unpasteurised version contains a cloudy property.
Preparation of apple cider vinegar.
There are numerous brands of Apple Cider Vinegar elegantly occupying the shelves of various stores across nations of the world. This might make the thought of its preparation while cooling off your heels in the kitchen a feat impossible.
However, it is time you tame the echoes of impossibilities. By following the steps below, you can prepare Apple Cider Vinegar right in your kitchen.
In addition to the ingredients for making unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar listed above, the following are also required for preparation purpose;
• A glass jar
• Paper towel
• Rubber band
It has also been observed that to produce quality Cider Vinegar, several variants of apples (bitter tasting, sharp tasting and sweet apples) should be used.
In place of apples, apple leftovers in the form of apple peels and apple cores can also serve the purpose.
12 Steps for preparing unfiltered apple cider vinegar:
1. Wash 5 apples or the cores of 10 apples and dice into smaller bits.
2. Introduce the diced apples into a glass jar.
3. The diced apples should occupy more than half or at least half of the glass jar.
4. Add water to the diced apples. Ensure the water entirely submerges the apples. The water should also fill the glass jar, leaving only a few inches to the brim uncovered by water.
5. Add raw honey to the mix and stir it in till it dissolves completely.
6. Cap the glass jar with a paper towel. Use a rubber band to firmly keep the paper towel attached to the glass jar.
7. Leave for two weeks to ferment.
8. In the course of the two weeks, you will get a cue that your cider vinegar is ready. The cue will be in the form of cloudy foam which will begin to gather in the jar. The cloudy foam which is usually dark is called the mother.
9. Strain the liquid content of the glass jar and eliminate the diced apples and the mother.
10. Reintroduce the strained cider vinegar to the glass jar, cap with a fresh paper towel and rubber band, then leave to ferment for another 4 weeks.
11. Within the 4 weeks duration, make time to stir the Cider Vinegar at interval. It is normal for another mother to form above the liquid.
12. When the four weeks elapse, transfer the cider vinegar into a bottle and begin to use as desired.
Benefits of apple cider vinegar:
Cider Vinegar is laden with numerous shades of benefits. For the purpose of this article, its numerous benefits will be grouped under two headings as follows:
Health benefits of cider vinegar:
1. Cider Vinegar is effective for lowering blood sugar level:
Studies have revealed that having two tablespoons of Cider Vinegar before sleeping lowers the level of blood sugar in the body by 4 to 6 per cent.
It is also effective for combating insulin resistance. Therefore it is appropriate for people with insulin resistance to take a mixture of water and Cider Vinegar prior to eating meals containing high carbohydrate.
The effectiveness of Cider Vinegar for lowering blood sugar simultaneously makes it perfect for controlling diabetes.
2. It tackles bacteria which spurs bad-breath: Gargling Cider Vinegar before brushing can remedy bad breath. Drinking it is equally effective for treating bad breath.
It kills harmful bacteria: Aside from banishing bad-breath causing bacteria, one of the earliest uses of Cider Vinegar is killing bacteria.
3. It is ideal for disinfecting fungus, cleaning wounds, treating lice and ear infections due to it’s bacteriocidal effects.
4. Cider Vinegar makes the skin healthier: The antibacterial in Cider Vinegar softens and exfoliates the skin. It also eliminates acne and generally leaves the skin looking healthier.
5. Cider Vinegar can bring down the weight: Cider Vinegar increases the level of metabolism in the body. In addition, it is proven to be an appetite suppressant.
6. It lowers cholesterol: Conclusion from the study of the effect of Cider Vinegar on animals and human shows that Cider Vinegar lowers cholesterol and improves the condition of the heart.
7. It contains acetic acid: A major ingredient in Apple Cider Vinegar is acetic acid. The fermentation process which occurs in the course of preparing Cider Vinegar enables the growth of acetic acid.
Medically, there are enormous uses of acetic acid;
I. It fights sore throat: The acidic attribute of Cider Vinegar is potent enough to clear sore throat infections.
II. It remedies stomach-related problems: Stomach-related problems such as stomach upset and even stomach fat can be remedied by drinking Cider Vinegar.
III. It stalls the growth of cancer: There are numerous studies which links the consumption of Cider Vinegar to cancer cure.
However, these studies are largely focused on cancer-based tests conducted on rats. It is, therefore, glaring that further studies centred on the effect of cancer in human are required.
In the interim, however, Apple Cider Vinegar is known to stall the development of cancer in human.
Other uses of cider vinegar:
• It serves the purpose of a deodorant: The application of a little quantity of Cider Vinegar to the armpit is apt for eliminating offensive odour.
• It is perfect for household cleaning: The antibacterial component of Cider Vinegar makes it effective for getting rid of germs lurking around the house.
• It relieves the body from the effect of sunburn: Apply a cup of Cider Vinegar along with some essential oil to bath water. Bathing with this will relieve the body of sunburn pain.
• It is used as a treatment for bites and stings: First, douse Apple Cider Vinegar in water. Introduce the mixture to areas of the body affected by bites or stings.
Cider vinegar dosage:
The appropriate dose of Cider Vinegar varies. The factors that come to play in the determination of the right dosage include but are not limited to age and health factors.
However, Cider Vinegar is commonly measured with teaspoon or tablespoon and then added to a glass of water.
It is safe to follow directions in the labels and it is even safer to seek direction from a health care practitioner before use.
Side effects of cider vinegar and recommendation for use:
The numerous benefits of Cider Vinegar do not immune it from bearing a series of disadvantages.
The following are the downside of Cider Vinegar which mostly occurs from its excessive use.
1. Ruins body tissue:
As a result of the high acid component of Cider Vinegar, an overdose is capable of damaging tissues in the body.
To forestall this occurrence, it is advisable to mix Cider Vinegar with juice, honey or water before use.
2. It can lead to a rise in hypokalemia:
Hypokalemia is a condition which arises when the level of potassium in the blood declines. Acetic acid is found to be responsible for a decline in blood potassium which then births Hypokalemia.
Consulting a physician can set you on the right path and also guide against the negative effects of Apple Cider Vinegar.
3. It can destroy the tooth enamel: When you consume Cider Vinegar without diluting it, it will cause damage to the enamel of the tooth and heightens dental sensitivity.
It is safer to dilute Cider Vinegar in juice or water before consumption.
Furthermore, using a straw while taking Cider Vinegar minimises its contact with the tooth.
It is also recommended to brush the teeth after taking Cider Vinegar.
4. Oesophageal burn in children:
Oesophageal or throat burn has been recorded in children who accidentally consumed Cider Vinegar. The acidic property of the Cider Vinegar is the underlying cause of throat burn.
Cider Vinegar should be kept out of children reach.
5. It can result in skin burn:
Several reports of skin burn that emerged from the use of Cider Vinegar have been documented over the years.
Following the recommendation below will prevent you from joining the number.
Do not make bodily contact with undiluted Cider Vinegar.
6. A decrease in bone mineral density:
An overdose of Cider Vinegar decreases the mineral density of the bone, thereby weakening it.
Prior to the oral use of Cider Vinegar, is it advisable to consult a physician who will recommend the ideal dosage and provide direction for use.
7. Sore throat:
The excessive oral consumption of Cider Vinegar can cause irritation in the throat.
You can protect the oesophageal wall from damage when you dilute Cider Vinegar in water before use.
8. It triggers headache:
The excessive intake of Cider Vinegar can trigger a serious headache. The detoxifying attribute of the Cider Vinegar might be an underlying cause of the headache.
The detoxification process causes the brain to expel harmful toxins which will result in headache.
Reduce the usual dosage consumed and consult a physician if headache persists.
The negative effects of using Apple Cider Vinegar are due to indulgence in it with no recourse to diluting it strong acidic components.
Therefore, do not make the mistake of having a direct contact with Apple Cider Vinegar. Before ingesting or applying to the body, ensure it is properly diluted.
You can dare to trust Apple Cider Vinegar to provide you with its numerous benefits.
However, this is on the premise of proper dilution to reduce the potency of it acidic component and consultation with a physician prior to use.
John Lawe has been with Trendohealthtips.com for Four years and an active contributor for two years now. Lawe is a Professional Pharmacist with excellent understanding of the product formulation, the science behind diet pills and the supplement industry.