Migraine can simply be defined as a type of headache that causes mild to severe pain occurring in one side of the head. This usually occurs when you are experiencing any trigger that can cause your migraine.
When you know exactly the cause of your migraine, you are half way to managing and avoiding it.
The best way to get rid of migraine is to avoid those things that trigger your migraine headache. You need to know them to find out which one causes your migraine.
Identifying your migraine triggers can also help your doctor to give you proper diagnosis and treatment.
Read more here on what is Migraine, causes and symptoms
Below are the most common Migraine triggers and simple ways to avoid them:
1. Alcohol: To many people alcohol is the cause of their migraine while to some taking a few cups can stop their migraine.
The best way to avoid migraine caused by alcohol is to stop consuming it but if you cannot then you can reduce the level of intake or better still know your limit at which you consume alcohol that will not cause migraine to you.
2. Self medication/Drug Abuse: Taking drugs not prescribed by a qualified doctor or pharmacist is very dangerous and is one of the factors that can trigger migraine in some people.
If you start feeling headache or sick see a doctor to help you, taking any drug of your choice is very abnormal. Instead of curing your migraine it can in itself cause more migraine attack. Always visit your doctor immediately.
3. Stress: Is one of the common causes of migraine for many people. If you can change some of the things that make your life stressful you can probably change to living healthy.
There are a lot of ways to avoid stress and be stressed-free such as having required time to sleep, watching movie with friends, resting enough, spending quality time with people, exercise, and more to that doing the things you love. Practicing a stress free life can reduce these triggers in your life.
4. Menstrual period: Most women confirmed that they experience migraine during their menstrual period.
This means that women are more likely to develop migraine headaches than men due to the changes in some hormone levels such as progesterone and estrogen.
Therefore, in order to avoid this women are best adviced to see a doctor for a detailed advice on what to do.
5. Weather: This is another common migraine trigger for some people. High temperature result in high amount of heat in the environment which can easily lead to dehydration; which is a trigger that can cause migraine.
Because we cannot control weather, this migraine trigger can best be avoided by employing devices that can provide sufficient ventilation or allow the flow of fresh air to provide adequate oxygen to the body.
6. Bright or Flash Light: Some people show symptoms of excessive sensitivity to light and opposition to bright light, this is a condition known as photophobia. To this people it can easily cause migraine.
Wearing of protective sunglasses is the best way to avoid it. In a situation where sunglasses cannot be use, is best you avoid staying in the presence of bright light or better still use colored bulbs that cannot emit bright light.
7. Bad smell/Odor: Some people get irritated with some specific smells. Bad smell can cause certain reactions to occur in the nervous system that can trigger migraine attack leading to migraine.
Avoiding bad smell and ordor that you don’t like is a good step to take in this case, smell such as some certain foods, chemicals, body sprays or perfumes, feaces, smoke, bad body ordor, stagnant water etc.
Try to identify the kind of smell that causes your migraine and avoid them. Also let people around you be aware of your condition so that they can avoid using such items near you in order to protect you. If you yourself is using them you should find a way of stopping it to protect yourself.
8. Dehydration: This is a condition whereby your body lack sufficient water to maintain it normal state, thereby leading to severe headache in most cases.
Therefore, always drink plenty of water even when you are not tasty, this practice is not only a means of avoiding migraine but also helps to keep the body healthy.
9. Food/drinks: Some certain foods and drinks can cause you headache. So you watch what you eat and drink. Whenever you get migraine take note of the food or drink you had before the migraine started. If you discovered that the food or drink repeatedly causes you migraine over time, you should simply stay away from that.
10. Hunger: Staying hungry causes the body to become weak, all the body cells including the brain cell might not work well because of the lack of food (energy) for the body to use to function better thereby leading to migraine in some people.
Eat regularly and avoid skipping your meals is the only way out.
11. Exercise: Is a very important routine for your body system. In fact everyone needs it to stay healthy. But to some people it is a means of triggering their migraine.
If exercise is the cause of your migraine see your doctor immediately and ask of what to do.
12. Irregular Sleep: This is another common migraine trigger. Insufficient sleep contributes a lot to causing headache (migraine) to a lot of people.
If your sleeping habit is not properly observed and you are always tired. This means your brain and the rest of your entire body system did not have enough time to rest and refresh, therefore it can make migraine attack more likely to start.
13. Noise: Bad and loud noise affect the ear drum of many people especially the old folks, it becomes so irritating to them even when the noise is entertaining.
When noise happens to be your migraine trigger the best thing you can do to avoid it is to absent yourself from the place where the noise is happening.
14. Fatigue: This is a condition where one lose so much strength and energy and becomes tired and exhausted. For this reason it becomes a means of migraine trigger to some people and to avoid this trigger, you should always have proper resting time and also find out what usually make you fatigue and start avoiding them.
You might also like Migraine types
We all have different migraine triggers. Therefore, it might interest you to know that the overall solution for all migraine triggers is to see your doctor immediately and feel free to explain everything you have discovered about your trigger and how you feel. This will help them give you the proper treatment and management you need.